Thursday, November 09, 2006

My super smart little sister turned me onto something incredibly cool.

Something that actually helps me deal with everyday life in a very real way, something that helps me stay true to myself in a world that challenges me to change every day, something that gives me peace and helps me deal with the havoc and chaos that is our world.

So you want to know, don't you. . . .

It's the scriptures. "Oh big surprise," you say, "people have been telling me that for years. Plus, Duchess, you've been a Mormon for a long time now, you've served a mission. You obviously were aware of the scriptures a long time ago."

Yes, you are so right, but you didn't let me finish.

It is true that studying the scriptures is one of the few things in my life that calms my overly anxious mind, that gives me strength, that helps me to focus. There is a problem, though. More and more often, as the frenzied pace of the world increases, and I struggle to keep up, I have found it increasingly difficult to find quiet contemplative time to study the scriptures. The most significant problem being, my fast track mind has difficulty slowing down enough to absorb the meaning of the words. I read, but I forget, I study, but I get confused and distracted.

Here is where my darling little sister came to my rescue, an answer to prayer. She told me that she had downloaded the scriptures onto her IPod and listened to them while she did yard work. The two activities combined had a wonderfully calming result.

Princes P. (my sister's online name) and I share much more than genetics. Our anxiety levels and neuroticism run neck and neck. Anything that works for one, may very well work for the other. I decided to give it a try.

Problem: I don't have and IPod (I know, I know, "Duchess, join this century"- my parents offered one as a Christmas present, but I refused in line with my goal to live a simpler life, and due to the fact that I don't listen to music. The noise in my head is more than I can handle. I didn't realize the thing might have other uses.) anyway, no IPod, and my yard is very tiny and only requires maintaining about every two weeks in the summer and never in the winter.

Solution: Another calming antidote to the rat race is knitting. I asked myself, what would happen if I knit and listened to the scriptures at the same time? Miracles of miracles.

I have very specific knitting for this time. I don't have to look at it or pay attention. It is stst in the round for those knitters out there. I close my eyes and the repetitive motion and gentle clicking of the needles provides a sensory focus, a cure for distraction. My laptop overcomes the technology gap, as I don't need it to be portable, and in short order I find myself focused, calm, peaceful, and grateful.

Thanks Princess. You're the best sister a Duchess could ask for.

You can listen to the scriptures here, and yes, it includes both New and Old Testaments for those non-Mormon's out there, although you might try a few chapters of the Book of Mormon just to see what your missing. I recommend 3rd Nephi, chapter 11 and Alma, chapter 32, both are stunningly beautiful.
Just open the chapter you want to hear, the text will appear, and then in the upper left corner of the text you will see a link that says "listen" click it, a small player will appear. Hit the play button and settle back, no need to even download the file.

The Church is so cool!

1 comment:

An Ordinary Mom said...

That was written so well. We all need more peace and anxiety-free moments in our life. I am glad you have found something that works for you.