Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Mormons and Sex

That got your attention didn't it. I knew it would

So a while back manichispanc asked this:

This one is more silly than anything else. i can barely keep from giggling as i type this.
anyway, i was told that Mormon couples, prior to getting married, go through the act of sex with a sheet separating them. so, they know whether their marriage will be fulfilling or not.
is there truth?

Ok, short answer, NO! We practice chastity before marriage and fidelity afterwards. What that means is no sex before marriage, kissing is fine, but anything that is sexually arousing is tabo, as it's only purpose is, well, to get each other all worked up- and why torture yourself? After marriage your spouse is your one and only partner. A little more on this in a bit, first lets look at the myth. . .

Shanny, let me remind you that I said all good myths had a basis in truth. I was talking to some friends about this and one of them mentioned that she thought Orthodox Jews may have some tradition like this and that is where it came from, so a little Internet research and this is what I find:

This guy writes an article somewhat like this blog, only about the Jewish religion. He got the same question. Go here to read the whole thing.

http://www.beingjewish.org/jewishemail/resp0429.html


Rabbi number sixth I spoke to had the most plausible explanation to me. After racking his brain he called me back to say that perhaps the rumor comes from a little known Jewish divorce law that speaks of a spouse willing to have sex only through a sheet. This is considered so bad, that the other partner can cite "the sheet" as grounds for divorce--with no financial remuneration! In other words the law condemns such behavior.
OK, so that is a NO for the Jews too.
Now, lets talk a little bit about why we practise this belief. I know there are all sorts of reasons that you could give me on why one shouldn't wait until marriage to have sex. I've heard them all before. Let me tell you why I disagree.
1. I know that my husband respects me. If a man will date me for over a year and go through a 9 month engagement with me, I know he's in it for more than the sex, he must really love me.
2. STDs??? Not a concern, at all.
3. Insecurities in the bedroom? Not me, I know my hubby has nothing to compare me to. I am the best he has ever had, period. He knows the same for me.
4. A lack of insecurities makes it easy to be creative, have fun, and try new things. We are free to say we do or do not like something, knowing that there is nothing behind it, other than love, excitement, and making each other happy.
5. No regrets.
Five very good reasons (and I have others if you want to go further) that, in my opinion, are a lot more important and positive than any reason someone can give me for not "restricting" yourself sexually.
Now that I have said all of that, let me also say, that everyone comes into a relationship with baggage. Less anyone conclude that I think people who have not lived (for what ever reason) the same lifestyle I have chosen, are of any less value, or are somehow worse off than me. Love is about acceptance, forgiveness, and relying on the Savior. He suffered for our sins, and he will take them if we are willing to give them up. He is the great healer, and he heals heart and minds, not just bodies. He also heals our relationships, and helps us understand and love one another more. We have an opportunity to love our partners more with his help, and what greater gift could we give?


3 comments:

All the Angles said...

(Mama Bear's sister)
I agree with everything you said. I would just add the lack of respect you have for youself is another reason to avoid pre-marital sex. Being a teenager or young adult is hard enough with out this added pressure and stress!
Wendy

Dee said...

AMEN TO THAT SISTERS!

Snowcap said...

Why would having sex result in a lack of self-respect? I don't understand.